Nasdaq, Dow, S&P futures mixed as market looks to lock in gains going into Fed week

JaysonPhotography/iStock via Getty Images

Stock index futures look hesitant again Friday, but Wall Street is almost certainly assured a solid weekly performance.

Nasdaq 100 futures (NDX:IND) -0.3% and S&P futures (SPX) -0.1% are lower. Dow futures (INDU) +0.1% are up.

The S&P (SP500) is up 3.5% for the week, with the Nasdaq Composite (COMP.IND) up 5.3% and the Dow (DJI) up 2.4%.

The FOMC decision arrives next week and with some soft economic data traders have become more convinced at the hike will be 75 basis points. The market is pricing in nearly an 80% chance of 75 (20% of 100 basis points), up from around 60% to kick off the week.

“In the current environment, bad news has been good news for equities, as the market anticipates that the Fed will have to ease off the gas sooner rather than later,” Deutsche Bank’s Jim Reid said.

Since “growth fears first sent jitters through markets in mid-June, driving a re-pricing lower of Fed terminal rates, the NASDAQ has rallied +13.28% from its YTD lows while FANG+ has increased +15.69% from just above its YTD lows,” he added.

The Treasury yield curve is flattening. The 10-year Treasury yield is down 10 basis points to 2.81%, while the 2-year is down 6 basis points to 3.03%.

Among active issues, online ad stocks are under pressure after a disappointing report from Snap. Twitter is set to report this morning.

Across the pond, eurozone recession fears are rising after the flash PMI moved into contraction territory, including a contraction in German manufacturing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *